Monday 5 July 2010

Back to sewing

I've been neglecting sewing of late but am feeling re-inspired after my purchases at a car boot sale in Kennet on Sunday.

The latest project of many projects that I'm neglecting involves 25 squares, the idea being that 13 will have a flower and 12 have a plain colour in a textured stitch. But this is requiring quite a bit of concentration in copying designs to graph/squared paper in addition to the effort in keeping count while I sew.

So I couldn't resist buying an unused preprinted Ehrman kit called Spring when I saw it at the car boot and got it for £4.50. It'll be ideal for when I don't feel like concentrating and should also be good practice for seeing how to do the shading of flower petals properly.



My other sewing-related purchase was a bag of 17 skeins of Anchor Tapisserie wool for just 30p including several in colours I hadn't got and seven in shades of grey for a project I've got in mind to start and then neglect at some time in the dim and distant future.

My most nostaligic purchase at the car book wasn't sewing related - it was three empty third-of-a-pint milk bottles for £1, bringing back memories of infant school break times. I remember that I used to hate it if I ended up with a warm one that had been standing by the radiator!



Kennet is a really excellent car boot, if a little difficult to find as:
a) we muddle Kennet and nearby Kentford and generally head for the wrong one
b) the signposting is confusing so we take a convoluted route
c) it's only once a fortnight therefore we generally try to go on the wrong Sunday.
It's a year or so since we'd been there and was just as good as we remembered - last year's star bargain was a new DAB radio for £3. I also came back this week with half a dozen lovely strong perennials, all favourites of mine, as well as some bamboo to help keep my tomatoes upright and a couple of stocking fillers for my Mum's birthday so it was a good haul.

No comments: