Tuesday 10 August 2010

Harder than building real bridges?

As I'm interested in both games and civil engineering, I couldn't resist buying a game called Viaduct at a recent car boot.

It looked quite easy - you throw a dice and then place or remove pieces accordingly, to create a continuous viaduct running across the board.



Having tried it for the first time yesterday we found that it's surprisingly difficult to achieve the aim. The pieces always seem to be precisely the wrong length to fill the required gap and you have to be pretty efficient in your route, or you run out of pieces. I can see why people on the excellent Board Game Geek site didn't think it was a great game and only gave it an average of 5/10 but I must admit that I did enjoy playing it anyway, even if our resulting viaducts lacked a certain elegance...

No comments: