Friday 6 May 2011

My 'plant of the week': Phlox - Emerald Cushion Blue

In fact, this lilac-flowered Phlox has really been my favourite plant of the last few weeks. Its reliable supply of pretty flowers starts early in the season and lasts for weeks on end.



I've had it several years and it's remained in a standard pot of 9" or so. I've become rather fond of it for its trouble-free nature. It doesn't get watered or fed very often and is one of the first plants to flower every year. I've promoted it to a slightly more prominent spot this year, and think that I should reward it for its efforts with some food later today.

I bought another Phlox (Phlox Subulata Millstream Daphne) last year as a very small plant. That one's pinky flowers are just starting to appear - only time will tell whether it will perform as well as Emerald Cushion Blue.

No comments: