Sunday 2 May 2010

Big plant and big plants

I've been very negligent about this of late, in part because of spending the week before last in Germany at a very big exhibition about construction and mining plant...



As well as being a very big plant exhibition it had some very big items of plant...



I then came back stuffed full of a cold, so vegged out last weekend and didn't at first notice that I had a very big plant of my own here. An old amaryllis bulb that had been starting to show signs of renewed life had had put on an astonishing foot or so of growth in just a couple of weeks and two magnificent red flowers about 7" across had appeared.



I wonder what made it come to life now? I'm sure it's at least two years since it had flowered - I've completely ignored it during that time but I'm determined to look after it better now in gratitude for its display! Letting the leaves grow through the summer and then putting it in the dark seem to be the next steps, according to Direct Bulb's clear instructions.

The other rather alien plant lurking in the conservatory-type room (not grand enough to be an actual conservatory) is this.



It's a groundnut/peanut that I planted a few weeks ago and haven't yet got round to moving to a bigger pot. Not convinced that it's going to be a cost-effective way of getting peanuts (as the value ones in Tesco are only 27p) but it promises to be interesting!

No comments: