Sunday 2 May 2010

A new sewing project

I've just started a new cushion cover - one that I can design as I go along, to suit my whims and avoid the boredom of having a project where everything is predetermined. There will be 25 identically sized squares (with narrow black borders) and the idea is that half will have a flower, with the rest each being just one or two colours done using the textured stitches that I tried out on samplers.



One square will be a sunflower - I've done a practice version of that one already.



The others will be initially based on designs from various books - particularly some that my parents' neighbour, Auntie Dorothy, kindly gave me earlier this month.



I've also copied out a few flowers from one of her other books and am trying to pick an easy one for the first square to give me confidence. This one is possibly a bit small as it's only 25 holes wide whereas the squares are about 50, but I've others to choose from.



Once I've done a few, I hope to try designing a flower myself from one of my photographs...but that may be a bit ambitious! To help with planning, I've splashed out a whole £2 on 36 crayons and 40 pens. I don't think I've ever had such a large set of felt-tips before and would have loved them when I was little!

No comments: