Sunday 19 September 2010

Getting some sewing done

I've had a bad track record sewing in Spain - after all, the kit I started there in 1983 only got framed this year...

So this time I thought I'd tackle something easy and took an Ehrman kit that I'd picked up at a car boot the other week. It proved ideal - I normally prefer to do something where I can make decisions as I go along, but I am enjoying having a project where you simply sew where the appropriate colour has been painted on the canvas. It's a bit like painting by numbers! The only difficulty is that the painted canvas areas for two of the shades of green are very difficult to tell apart - to my surprise, I found it easier to see the difference in the early evenings, rather than bright sunshine. Since getting home, I've printed out the photo, which is proving a help too.

I did a little every day, while listening to a good book (I especially enjoyed the ubiquitous The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Lindsay Davis's Falco story, A Body in the Bath House) and watching the world go by.

I'm making steady progress - though it's probably hard to see what I've done from these shots, taken on 2 September before I started, and on the 14th.





In fact. I've liked having the painted pattern so much that I bought some acrylic paints from the supermarket yesterday and am going to try designing a canvas myself!

2 comments:

Hardlydan said...

I have recently started the same Ehrman kit. My mother bought it a while back but never got round to it because of her arthritis. It's taking a little while but is strangely satisfying.

Leezz said...

Strangely satisfying is exactly the right phrase! I'd been worried that it might prove boring and was quite surprised to find how much I enjoy plodding on with it and how pleased with myself I am whenever I complete a colour or section!