Monday 4 October 2010

Astonishing hibiscus tree

I really loved this beautiful little flower-smothered hibiscus tree we came across in Spain.



The Technomage has quite a few shirts featuring hibiscus flowers



and when on holiday I'm always on the look-out for suitable bushes that he can be photographed blending in with (to the amusement of passers-by!). Our own bush at home this wet English summer only managed five flowers:



and most of the ones we saw in Spain had lovely flowers but not many of them.



Now that Nerja's street market has been moved to a ridiculously inaccessible place out of the town centre, we got our holiday market fix in nearby Torrox Costa, where we came across the astonishing little tree completely covered in huge flowers. (Sadly, he wasn't wearing one of his hibiscus shirts at the time)









It was just on a strip of grass lining the main road, not in someone's carefully tended garden.



I've no idea whether it is a special variety or just a freakishly wonderful plant but I just loved it and could have happily spent the afternoon sitting gazing at it (and probably would have if I'd had my bigger, better camera with me). Sadly, even if I could track one down it probably wouldn't thrive here!

1 comment:

delboy said...

I know what you mean about only a few flowers on our hibiscus at home, but I've found that every year, the bush gives off more and more. Give it time.