Monday 15 February 2010

33 years on

As today is the 33rd anniversary of me starting the brown and green cushion cover, I forced myself to spend a bit of time yesterday doing some while watching telly(and drinking Margaritas made using Sunday's leftover mixer that we had we bought as part of our now-annual Valentine's Day treat, when we spend £50 on food and drink in the upmarket supermarket Waitrose. The idea came about 18 months ago when we spent the same amount on 2 very mediocre pizzas, 1 very mediocre starter, 1 very mediocre dessert, a bottle of very average wine and possibly a coffee in Covent Garden and mused about how much better we could do for the same money, even if we indulged ourselves by going to Waitrose rather than our regular supermarkets!)

I'm embarrased by how little I've done on the cushion cover since digging out the project in December. Don't know why I'm quite so hostile towards it - or perhaps I do. I suppose it's because:
a) it is very repetitive and predictable - no scope for decision-making on the spur of the moment;
b) it uses a limited set of colours;
c) it's on 18hpi canvas, which is harder on the eyes than the 14hpi I've been tending to use (though it's actually good quality canvas so good from that point of view);
d) while I'm really a very numerate person, I seem to be absolutely incapable of counting up to nine for this! The result is that I'm forever doing the wrong number of stitches or making them at at the wrong angle so I have to unpick them.

I must make myself persevere if only to stop it hanging over me.....New challenge - to have it finished within 33 years and 33 days of starting - that's 21st March.

No comments: