Saturday 20 February 2010

A little bright spot

In parallel with needing to wear reading glasses more and more, I'm also finding that I need brighter lights to read, write my diary or sew. But our lounge can be quite dark, so I've decided to bring together two of my best-ever bargains and now have a very comfy bright area for when I feel the need to be productive.



The chair represents the best £10 I've ever spent at a car boot sale. I fell in love with it the moment I saw it - it's very comfortable, pleasing to look at and is small enough to move around the house depending on where it's needed. It's a Parker Knoll (design: Froxfield - they've been making it for ever) and my Mum also loved it so much that I found her one in cream upholstery fabric in a lighter wood - hers therefore looks completely different but is just as lovely.

The lamp is by a fancy Italian lighting firm and cost £5 in Marks & Spencer's sale a few years ago - it still has the original price sticker of £185 underneath. I can't quite fathom why anyone would ever contemplate paying that much but it is a very good lamp and definitely worth more than a fiver.

While I was rearranging things, the TechnoMage was busy making 2.5 jars of pickled jalapeƱos as we couldn't resist buying a big bagful for a pound from an East Ham market stall last week.


It's the first time we'd ever tried actual pickling (as opposed to making chutneys) and they look quite promising.

2 comments:

knit nurse said...

Impressive pickles! What did you use as your pickling vinegar/spices?

Leezz said...

He kept it simple for this first attempt - just blanched in water then bottled in hot white wine vinegar with some water and sugar. We'll be trying the half bottle soon to see how it worked!