Friday 27 November 2009

Bewildered about canvas

I'm about to order some more canvas but have some more research to do...I'm waiting to hear back from Zweigart about what the difference is between white Magic Canvas (9414/100), 14 count Mono Canvas (604) and 14 count Royal Canvas (9281) - all of which superficially look the same but presumably feel different.

I really liked the black Magic Canvas (at least I think that's what it was) that I used for the cushion cover. I found it quite soft and comfortable to work with - though some online shops seem to imply that it's quite stiff and more suited to things like Christmas tree decorations. Maybe I should buy some anyway to confirm that it really was Magic Canvas.

But I don't like the 13 count mono interlock canvas I've got (bought in the 1970s and found a few weeks ago)- horribly, horribly stiff and with rather uneven holes. It's really tiring to work with, even on the little colour sampler thingy I'm doing now - I know I'd give up on a cushion in that after just a few rows...

And do I go for black or white? Where the horrid white canvas shows through (being only 13 count) it's quite obvious and doesn't look very nice - but on the other hand, white is easier on the eyes when sewing.

Trivial decisions, I know, but given all the hours I'll be working on Cushion #2, I'd like to get it right...

No comments: