Monday 30 November 2009

Stepping back in time

I think it's about time that I tried to finish the cushion cover begun on 16 February 1977. It would be nice to put an end date to it, ideally before 16 February 2010.





But it's going to be so boring - these days I favour a far wider range of colours. And the holes are very tiny (18 per inch - I find 14 is bad enough). Perhaps I should make myself do say two squares a week? Or maybe I'll scrap the rest of the design and pick other patterns to do around the edges to build up to cushion size. For old times' sake, I'll have to pick them from the book I was using then of course - a rather good Coats guide to canvas embroidery patterns, bought for 90p (which was probably quite a bit then).




The few things I did manage to complete at the time were specs cases - quick, easy, nice and useful. I rather like this very 1970s-looking one. The suede backing is worn and torn through use though, so I need to put a new back on it.



And this one never got finished - mainly because too little was left for the edges and it frayed, but I'm sure I can remedy that.

5 comments:

Gareth Gardner said...

There's something very 1970s and also very beautiful about these pieces! I think the first one is amazing!

Leezz said...

Thanks - I need that kind of encouragement to spur me on to finishing it!

colleen said...

That 70s stuff is great! Persevere, I say.

knit nurse said...

Wow, I love the look of that book! Show us some more of the inside!

Leezz said...

I'll take some pictures of it tonight - there are some great designs!